Plotist: New update coming out!5 min read
Update 3 (2017-06-14): And we are done! You should see all the new features on the site and have access normally!
Update 2 (2017-06-14): We added a few more things to this release and we are ready to go! We’ll be down for a bit but don’t worry, we’ll be back soon. Check Twitter and Facebook for a progress report.
Update (2017-06-08): We’ve decided to wait for the release, as we want to tweak a few extra things for you wonderful writers! We will update you, and this post when we have more information. For now, just be aware these features are coming soon.
At Plotist, we are always working to improve our web app. It has been a while since our last update, but we’ve been working hard behind the scenes. In the next few months you will see a lot of updates and changes. In that spirit, today we are releasing a major update to Plotist!
Most of the changes we have made you won’t notice. Most changes for this update are focused on the structure of the web app and how it communicates with our servers. These modifications allow us to develop even faster by making it easier to send and receive data from our servers.
The biggest visual change is the new text editor. We have moved away from our old editor to one that is more flexible. This new editor lays the foundation for us to build really cool features that will start rolling out next month.
We’ve also implemented a new support chat. We want to do it in a way that didn’t impact your ability to use Plotist, but also made it easier for you to reach out to us when you need help. Our forums and email are still viable methods of reaching out to us for help and reporting bugs if you would rather reach out to us that way.
In case you are interested, here’s a list of the changes we will be implementing:
First a Thank You!
- New text editor; better looking, faster, more consistent, will enable fantastic other improvements.
- Upgrades security mechanism (asymmetric keys), you’ll be logged out if you were logged in.
- Clearer and cleaner notifications, error messages are more understandable.
- Fundamental behind the scenes work on how we communicate between the browser and the servers, which again will enable great future improvements.
- Improved overall performance, initial load time (much) quicker, timeline manipulation smoother.
- New support system with live chat
- Tags can now be reordered by drag-and-drop, and comma and tab will add a new tag
- Things were deleted when clicking “Cancel” (released 30/04/17, reported by oliverrookwood13)
- Fix creation of elements from timeline editor (released 30/04/17, reported by queent)
- Fix updated modified date
- Prevent breaking timeline when deleting an event (released 09/05/17, reported by devilfoashadow)
- Fix pagination breaking when changing between lists
- Image file selection bug on safari and android phones
- Fixed legacy urls
- User menu closes when clicking outside of it
- Correctly reset create forms
- Default “no image” image now correctly shows
To implement this update, the website will be down for less than an hour (Wednesday 14th June). We will keep you updated on Twitter in case we finish early or there are delays. If after the release you notice something that is not working properly, please let us know on this thread in the forums.
Another update is coming before the end of this month. Be sure to follow us everywhere for news about that when it happens. As usual, if you have any feedback, any way you think we can make Plotist better, we are always happy to add it to our feature list. Just send us an email or post on our forums.
Create awesome stories
We give you the tools to manage your story so you can focus on what really matters: writing!